Author Topic: Notessimo  (Read 186 times)

Offline StarWars [XD]

• Princess Luna
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Haha! The fun has been doubled!
    • View Profile
Notessimo
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:13:46 pm »
The program.

I figured this could go either here for the games section but I never really considered Notessimo a game, just a very simple way of expressing myself through art.

Why did anyone else use it? Clearly there are much better programs for free music production. Would anyone go back to using it when or if v3 comes out?

Consider this a general discussion thread for Notessimo, although I do have a few more questions. What was your favorite part of notessimo, and if there was any one thing you could have to improve it, what would it be?

My stance on Notessimo is I could never abandon it, if only for the community. I enjoy a smaller community, even if I agree that notessimo should be a bigger community. When you start getting into the thousands of users making songs on a regular basis, two problems present themselves for me. One, you can't keep track of all the content, and individual comments really lose their power, even from respected users.

As for my other questions, my favorite part of notessimo was just the freedom that came from raw simplicity of the program. You could produce music all of your life and still not be any good at it, but Notessimo is a program anyone with a little musical background could master in a few months of use. From that point on, it was all down to your own ingenuity and the samples your were provided.

Ironically, the one thing I want for the program spoils this. Considering the fact that Starburst has at least mentioned that he was going to include samplers, I would like to have the full 9 yards and have vst support (at least for windows, not sure what other OSs use). If it had that, then you could consider Notessimo a professional DAW, and then I could go back to it and still learn about musical production.

Of course, Notessimo will never measure up to DAWs like FL and Reason, at least not without major renovations that would compromise what make it such a fun little program. But personally I think it's an amazing concept. It's essentially a DAW that focuses more on the piano roll than effects or mastering, and it just makes it easy to be a composer. No matter what you are doing, you never need to close and window or make another one larger because everything is proportioned exactly right. It's aimed at the composer, not the producer. Make no mistake, I would like to take advantage of new technologies in my music, but more as a side thing. I'm tired of pulling up a song in FL and just fiddling with the knobs instead of writing music. If I were provided with samples and had someone I could send the song later for mastering, I could probably write a song in a day in FL, no sweat. Notessimo isn't as optimized for quick writing as FL, so it takes longer, but it's a sacrifice I am more than willing to make.

So there you go. Thanks for reading it if you truly did and I can't wait to see the responses trickle in.
It's too big ;_;

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Offline Nuse

• Hero
  • This is personal stop reading it
    • View Profile
Re: Notessimo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »
I think it was easy, fun and great for beginners. Hopefully I would go back if there was ever a v3. I liked how it had the instrument icons so it was easy to visualize. If there was one thing I had to improve, it would be the ability to select multiple notes for editing.

And I agree with what you've said!

Offline Austin

• This belongs to me, stop looking at it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »
The only reason I've actually been waiting for version 3 to come out is because I love the small community, because I think I know everyone in the community (maybe one or two people I don't know).  Also, I know that there's at least one (probs more) better music creating software out there, also free.  I also kind of want to make a real song, but of course the moment I actually get an idea for a song, notessimo goes down...typical.

Also, I like that you don't have to download the software, you only need to have flash which almost everyone has, and I can use it anywhere, well could use anyways.
Xbox:  Obsidianarch
Steam:  Obsidianarch
Kongregate:  Obsidianarch
Email:  obsidianarch@yahoo.com

Offline Octomarine_

• Hero
  • twss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:26:39 pm »
Notessimo gives an, at first, a limited program, alike Mario Paint. But unlike it, Notessimo has many things that make it different and more organized than others. Obviously it has a couple of annoying crap in it but that's only if you organize your song badly.

First of all there's many things to experiment with Notessimo. Some are like Hyperspeed effects [ashleybas10 used this effect on three of his songs] and reverb. Unfortunately you need to do more work to do features like these than in other programs, but it gives me personally an achieved feeling once I've done some effect that's positive toward my song.

There's also that feel-good feeling when you actually make something good and you see progress. I would be no where in my school band if it wasn't for Notessimo; I would've known nothing about music. This kinda ties to the community but that's only another great thing about Notessimo.

My favorite part within the actual program was the different effects you can create. Seriously, woodblocks and tambourines set to the lowest note is the most badass thing ever. What could be fixed is stuff like deleting certain instruments and overall organization of the song. It's hard to delete individual notes if you have two different parts in one layer. WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DO THAT ANYWAY.

Offline Kefka

• You son of a sandworm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
Seriously, woodblocks and tambourines set to the lowest note is the most badass thing ever.

I don't think I've seen a truer thing typed here.

As someone who doesn't have any musical experience whatsoever, I found notessimo fairly easy to pick up and use. You didn't have to go through all that mastering crap, etc. It may not even hold a candle to other programs, but who cares? I'm just here cause it's fun :P
Life... Dreams... Hope... Where do they come from? And where do they go...? Such meaningless things... I'll destroy them all!

Offline mrteddy6564

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:16:59 am »
the thing I remmember from notessimo were the wonderful bot posts, aaaahhh the endless days of marking bot posts as spam, never has my life been any more useful. Speaking of bots YAY for icecube for using captcha

Offline DarkChameleon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:05 am »
I don't really have much to add to what's been said, however, I would like to point something out to you, Star...

I don't think Flash supports VSTs. In fact, I'm almost entirely sure it doesn't. VSTs are written in C++ and what have you, meaning Flash would have to have some sort of "wrapper" utility (like it's called in FL) to bridge to external applications. And I don't think it does, unfortunately. Notessimo would have to evolve far beyond Flash for that to be possible, which kinda detracts from some of the points raised - less availability, less accessability, all that.

Sampling is fine in theory, as I've seen plenty of flash apps that let you load local files. However, that means Starburst has to have more servers and databases to handle all the uploading and downloading samples, users have to download files to make a song playable, and they might not even be small, short singular note files, they could be really big, long pad samples, vox pop samples etc., which if they have a higher bit rate (say 320kbs) could have disastrous effects on file size, and hence bigger server and storage costs for Star). So it'd  probably be best in practice to keep it the way it is and maybe just hope Star uploads more instrument packs for everyone.

Incidentally, first post. Hello again, everyone.

Offline Austin

• This belongs to me, stop looking at it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »
Seriously, woodblocks and tambourines set to the lowest note is the most badass thing ever.

I don't think I've seen a truer thing typed here.
There hasn't, that is the most true thing ever spoken before in the history of mankind.

Now, someone needs to quote me quoting Kefka quoting Octo.  And then someone needs to quote them.
Xbox:  Obsidianarch
Steam:  Obsidianarch
Kongregate:  Obsidianarch
Email:  obsidianarch@yahoo.com

Offline Nuse

• Hero
  • This is personal stop reading it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:25:04 pm »
I don't really have much to add to what's been said, however, I would like to point something out to you, Star...

I don't think Flash supports VSTs. In fact, I'm almost entirely sure it doesn't. VSTs are written in C++ and what have you, meaning Flash would have to have some sort of "wrapper" utility (like it's called in FL) to bridge to external applications. And I don't think it does, unfortunately. Notessimo would have to evolve far beyond Flash for that to be possible, which kinda detracts from some of the points raised - less availability, less accessability, all that.

Sampling is fine in theory, as I've seen plenty of flash apps that let you load local files. However, that means Starburst has to have more servers and databases to handle all the uploading and downloading samples, users have to download files to make a song playable, and they might not even be small, short singular note files, they could be really big, long pad samples, vox pop samples etc., which if they have a higher bit rate (say 320kbs) could have disastrous effects on file size, and hence bigger server and storage costs for Star). So it'd  probably be best in practice to keep it the way it is and maybe just hope Star uploads more instrument packs for everyone.

Confusing how you call StarWars and Starburst "Star".  But I am in agreement with you anyway.

Offline StarWars [XD]

• Princess Luna
  • Global Moderator
  • Hero
  • Haha! The fun has been doubled!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 09:00:40 pm »

It's like I said, my one wish would kill it anyway. I don't know anything about coding or flash or anything, it's kinda sad to hear that it's not possible.

Also I am in agreement on the sampler thing. In Sunvox you load a sample into the sampler and the audio data is then saved to the sampler, so if you want to collab, all the other user needs is the save file (I imagine notessimo samplers will be similar). But the save file gets a lot bigger, the transition is from 20-30 KBs without any samplers to 4-10 MBs with them. Still fairly small for single songs but imagine this with the amount of songs we used to have.
It's too big ;_;